Illinois Civil Unions and Name Changes

by Beverly A. Pekala on June 28, 2011

I’ve been asked how partners can go about legally changing their names if they are anticipating entering into a civil union or a gay marriage.

 The Illinois Secretary of State’s office has published information addressing how partners in a civil union can obtain a name change.

 The process is simple. First, you must have a certified civil union certificate issued in Illinois or in another state in which civil unions are legal. Then, take that document to the office of the Secretary of State, where you can obtain a name change on your driver’s license, state identification card, vehicle title or vehicle registration.  

 In addition, though same-sex marriage is not legal in Illinois , the Secretary of State will also process a name change based upon a certified same-sex marriage certificate issued by a state in which same sex marriage is legal.

 For further information, contact the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office at 1-800 252-8980.

Related Posts:

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: